BRAT - (noun)

Brat- (noun)

1.A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one.

2.A child of a career military person.



Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Kindergarten Orientation

Last week we went to the "Big Kid School" for Kindergarten orientation. The kids were supposed to wear the name tag they were mailed, and make one for their favorite stuffed animal. Of course, we had to take Wa-Wa instead of just any old stuffed animal. After all, she is part of the family.

I have had mixed emotions about Michelle going to kindergarten. Let's face it - most mom's have mixed emotions. But with Michelle, I've had to approach this from a different angle than I did with my other kids. She has a September birthday, and the cut off is the last day of September. So, that means, she will be one of the youngest in the class. And, we just haven't had the whole 5 years like most kids have with mom. Don't get me wrong, I love all my kids, but I was kind of happy about sending the other's off to school. However with Michelle, I have questioned this decision over and over, mostly because I just feel like she needs a little more time to just be little.

There were several things that helped me make the decision to go ahead and send her next year. First, she is so ready - she loves learning, she is so excited to be there, and she is excited to be a "big kid". Secondly, it's only a half day. Our school is one of the few in our district that still goes half day, so I thought, at least we will still have that half day together. And lastly, she will do her speech therapy at the school, so it made is a little easier to go ahead and send her next year.

When it was time for the kids to leave, they called the orange teddy bears first. Michelle had to wait until they called the yellow teddy bears, and when they did she jumped up, ran to the line and then turned around to say , "Bye Mommy!" No fear, no hesitation on her part. She was ready!

After the kids left, the principal got up to make a big announcement. Next year, our school is most likely slated to go to full day Kindergarten. I was the ONLY mom in the room that didn't let out a cheer! I live in a very, very, very fast paced city. Everyone has to be first, everyone is in a hurry, everyone here is an overachiever. I just wanted my daughter to be little for one more year, to get just a little more time. I was not a happy camper.

So, while I still think she will go to kindergarten next year, my heart is a bit more heavy. I am sad to loose this last year of time with her. Nothing will be for sure until the school board hearing at the end of the month, and I am probably the only mom in our county who hopes the budget is not passed, or at least amended to just keep our school at half day kindergarten.

Sigh!




Doesn't she look like a big girl? (sniff, sniff, .... sigh!)


Not the best picture ever, but I will say this - she was very excited, had a great time, and can't wait to go to "Josh's school" next year. Myself, on the other hand, I can wait.

3 comments:

  1. Well ... she certainly does look ready!! I'll hope along with you that the change to full-day kindergarten doesn't go through. But, either way, I'm sure she (and you!) will be fine. It's hard to believe that it's only been 9 months or so since we sent Owen off for his first day of kindergarten and now 1st grade is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Midge, I know that feeling of wanting to allow our kiddos to be "little" for a while longer. Jade started full-day kindergarten this year and still will come home and tell me how hard it is because she misses me. Like Michelle, Jade does love learning...but she loves her family and longs to be home more (and I miss her too.)

    I often wish for the "good ol' days" when things were not so fast paced. Because I don't think think I can reverse time, I just settle for going against the tide and try keeping life as simple as possible. They do grow up too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get it! I can't believe Michelle and Mya are both going to be Kindergarteners! Mya loves her preschool teachers SO much that this week, she has been getting misty eyed when they talk about Kindergarten and visited the Kindergarten rooms! Like Michelle, Mya will now see her big brother in the halls, and maybe even in the library! I am glad that they will overlap in elementaryschool for two years! It will help with the transition.

    We have full day Kindergarten too! It's crazy! And the things they are teaching them!? It truly is the "old" first grade. There is such a need to groom this intelligent , face paced generation. Not sure it's working though :)

    Our girls are going to do great! With Praying Mamas - how can they not!?

    ReplyDelete