BRAT - (noun)

Brat- (noun)

1.A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one.

2.A child of a career military person.



Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Bits and Pieces of Summer

Someone asked me yesterday what I had done over the summer. It was an innocent enough question, but it made me feel a little sad, as if she was saying that summer was over, time to move on. I love summer time! Relaxed schedules, sleeping late, time with family, leisurely afternoons at the pool, good food. Sigh!

But, my friend is right - summer is coming to a close. And, I will admit, I have not been the best blogger this summer. So, here is a quick recap of a few things that didn't make it into the blog.


After Lizzy returned from Italy, she got a job at a local pizza restaurant. I think she enjoyed the experience, even if it meant very little sleep for her. She worked the late shift 2 or 3 nights a week, which meant she didn't even go to work until 10:00 p.m., returning home in the wee hours of the morning. Then, she slept most of the next day. It was a good experience, and I know she was grateful to get any job in this tough economy. But, I think we both hope next summer she can have a job with more normal hours.


Josh & Michelle had a great time at Vacation Bible School. The theme was Main Street USA. They are both still singing the songs. I lead the worship team. I love working with these young people, most of them having never played in front of an audience. I love teaching them how to not only lead worship, but to be lead worshippers. There is something really wonderful about seeing 500 kids in front of you, singing and jumping and praising God!


Bill and I managed a quick overnight trip away in late July to celebrate our 22 anniversary. Lizzy offered to watch the younger kids, so we checked into a local spa/resort and had 24 hours all to ourselves. It was wonderful!


Bill Jr. got to spend a week at the beach with one of his good friends, Chris. He also had his wisdom teeth out last week - not fun, but necessary. Hard to believe he will be a Senior this year. We have already done several college visits, and we would like to squeeze in a couple more early this fall before he starts the application process. He wants to be a teacher, and he wants to go to college in Virginia. I'm excited to see what the future holds for him!

In 2 more days we drive Lizzy back to school to begin her Sophomore year. Sigh! I guess that means summer really is winding down. Today Michelle has her Kindergarten physical, the last thing we have to do before she heads off to school. So, we will return next week to buy shoes, backpacks, school supplies... and hopefully squeeze in a few more afternoons at the pool.

Still trying to enjoy those last few days of summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment