BRAT - (noun)

Brat- (noun)

1.A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one.

2.A child of a career military person.



Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Yes Virginia, that really was an earthquake!



This picture made me smile! Too good not to share.

Yesterday afternoon I took the kids out for a little shopping and lunch. As we pulled back into our garage, Josh jumped out first and said he was going to see if a friend was home. Bill Jr. was helping me unload the car, and I was helping Michelle out of the car. Suddenly I heard our garage door start shaking. It got louder and louder but there was a low, rumbling roar going along with it. At first I thought Josh was kicking the door or hitting it, but then I realized we were in the middle of an earthquake. I could hardly believe it - we lived in California for a year and a half, and that was my biggest fear the whole time we lived there. We never felt so much as a tiny rumble our whole time there. This one was centered about 30 miles south of my house. And believe me, we felt this one.

We walked out of our garage and talked with our neighbors for a few minutes. The teenage girl across the street was home alone, and she seemed quite shaken up, in every way. During the actual earthquake I wasn't afraid, just kind of amazed, but I felt a little sick to my stomach afterwards as I realized what had just happened.

We went inside to survey the damage. A scared doggie, a couple of cans that fell out of cabinets, and a few books off our overcrowded book shelf. Other than that, no real damage done to our home.

Everywhere we went, for the rest of the day, we overheard people telling their part of the story. One of my good friends told me she had just left her chair in her office to go get some water, and when she returned after the quake she saw a huge mirror had fallen and shattered right where she was sitting.

When something like this happens, you can't help but become a bit reflective. (O.K., I can't speak for everyone, but things like this always make me stop and think!) One minute we were literally enjoying a perfect day - the sun was shining, the weather was not too hot, not too cold, I was having fun and enjoying my kids, and then the next the ground is shaking under my feet. I will tell you this - I certainly hope that is the worst earthquake I ever experience. I can't even imagine what people in Japan or California must go through.

As I was contemplating this yesterday, I was reminded at how quickly life can change. It only takes a single minute! And I was reminded that my hope is not in this world - I am blessed beyond measure! I have a husband that I love more than words can say, 4 beautiful healthy children, a nice home in a nice neighborhood, great supportive family and a lot of good friends, and even with all it's problems, I still live in what I believe is the greatest country in the world. And yet, my hope is not in any of these things. My hope is in God and His Son Jesus. I know someday my life on this earth will vanish. I believe there is so much more waiting for me - the things of this earth will someday all pass away. No matter how hard I might try, I know I won't live here forever. But I believe, with every fiber of my being, that I will live forever with my Lord and Savior Jesus. That gives me great hope! And, it gives me comfort in this world, when I feel the world shaking under my feet. (literally and figuratively!)

Last night I had a unique privilege. Our church is building a new stage, and our music minister invited everyone on the worship team to come and sign the concrete part of the stage, before it is overlaid with hard wood and carpet. He invited us to sign with a verse or prayer. I choose to sign with the words of a hymn - one that seemed meaningful. After yesterday's events, it seemed even more appropriate. Every week, as I stand on stage to sing praises to my God, I will know under my feet are these words.

"My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus name.
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand,
all other ground is sinking sand."

I pray that everyone who reads this post will have that same hope. If not, I pray that this will be the day that you look for it - it's found in the person of Jesus Christ! He is my Hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment