BRAT - (noun)

Brat- (noun)

1.A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one.

2.A child of a career military person.



Thursday, December 15, 2011

Happy Family Day


3 years ago today we met Michelle for the first time! It's hard to imagine life without her. Yet, when I think about that day it still amazes me how much I remember - how I felt, everything we did. I am still in awe of how easy Michelle was, from day one. (She was saving it up for kindergarten! Just kidding.)

When we met Michelle, all I really knew about her was that she had a cleft palate in need of repair, and that supposedly she liked to sing and dance. Of course, we didn't discover that for ourselves until about 6 months later. She did great from day one, but it really did take her about 8 months to "settle in". I didn't even realize it those first months, but I could tell a difference when she finally relaxed, finally settled in, finally gave us every part of herself.

Today, 3 years later, I know so much more about this precious girl. Pink is her favorite color. She lives to be outside and play. She adores her big brother Josh. She can read about 50 sight words, say anything she wants... this, from a girl who could say nothing intelligible when we brought her home. And we were told might never speak clearly - boy, were the Doc's wrong on that one! She has a sweet tooth, but her favorite food is still noodles. She hates to have her hair brushed. She has a great sense of humor.

She completes our family! I can't imagine my life without her, and I thank God every day for the miracle of adoption!



We had to celebrate a day early - tonight Bill Jr. has a guitar concert at school. We celebrated in what has become our tradition - ordering Chinese food from our favorite take out place, red velvet cake, and singing "Michelle" - the Beatles version. (of course, we didn't put quite enough red dye in the cake, so it was more like a pink velvet cake. Michelle loved it - she told me she hoped she turned into Pinkalicious!)

1 comment:

  1. Happy Family Day! I was just thinking about this last night. I am going to go to the store today and pick up something to celebrate after dinner! That's the only "tradition" we have kept. Letting her know how special that day was to us (with sweets, of course)

    Love the pink velvet cake and I'm sure Michelle did too!! So glad she's part of your lives and can't wait to see her and the whole family in person again!

    ReplyDelete